Indian Papoose Club click to go to home page of indian papoose Go to the Indian Papoose Forum indian papoose links page click to view indian papoose parts page.

Indian Papoose

« Click back to Home page

Back to the board
BuckoNZ(R)

08.02.2017, 04:07

1948? What am I looking at? Approx value? (INDIAN PAPOOSE)

Hi,

I really don't know too much about the Indian Papoose / Blockhouse Corgi, but keen to get forum users thoughts.

I am told that this (refer to pictures) is a 1948 model. Is that accurate? What sort of condition does it appear to be in? What is it's approximate value?

Anything comments or thoughts would be appreciated.

Cheers,
BuckoNZ

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

BuckoNZ(R)

12.02.2017, 03:46

@ BuckoNZ

1948? What am I looking at? Approx value?

Anyone?

slaapstad(R)

21.02.2017, 10:25
(edited by slaapstad, 21.02.2017, 10:41)

@ BuckoNZ

[img][/img] Anyone?

Hi Bucko,

Let me give you my 2 cents worth.......

The machine looks pretty good to me - although I'm no pro. What I can tell you is that the engine number appears to be a 1951 model. Unfortunately I cannot make head or tail of the frame number. Perhaps you could share it?

Value of these things depends upon locale and a ready market - you'll find that the Brockhouse Corgi / Indian Papoose has pretty limited appeal, largely because they're really a novelty these days rather than a practical usable road machine. But I love mine and would hate to part with it.

UK prices are a fair guideline - I find the Americans tend to put insane prices on things and I can't figure who spends that kind of money on something like this. (I saw USD3500 being asked for a pretty wretched machine recently!) A reasonable one sold in the UK on eBay for UK Pounds 1140 recently, and it was a nice one. Not perfect, but nice. A less desirable - in my mind - item has been on eBay for a while for UK Pounds 1499 and has been relisted - with no takers. So that gives you an idea. Look at Bonham's past auctions for prices, that'll tell you what the market will pay.

I'm down in South Africa and by UK standards got a very original complete one for a song by UK standards. But that's down here where the economy is crap..... In Aussie and New Zealand the prices seem to be exorbitant by South African standards, and I do have some close contacts in both countries.

But let's look at your one. The headlight is missing, I can't see the locators on the front forks where the locking pins would be, but the bottom of the forks looks to be modified. Possibly these are later forks from a MKIV - I can't tell from the pictures. The rear exhaust is non-standard and the stand is missing. These may affect the price - but probably not much. There are two lugs with holes in them on the front of the frame tubes - I have no idea what these are and have never seen them on a Corgi before. Possibly someone who knows more about these things can enlighten us all. They may be standard for leg-shields or something - I simply don't know.

But overall a nice looking example which should provide much fun. The link below will show you my one.

http://www.indianpapooseclub.org/forum/img/uploaded/image49.jpg

slaapstad(R)

22.02.2017, 15:48

@ slaapstad

Is your frame number 21875? If so, that fits into the 1951 model year as well for frames.