Indian Papoose Club click to go to home page of indian papoose Go to the Indian Papoose Forum indian papoose links page click to view indian papoose parts page.

Indian Papoose

« Click back to Home page

Back to the board
craigbenoit(R)

23.01.2017, 21:22

Two Papooses (INDIAN PAPOOSE)

Boy am I stoked!! After all these years I stumble onto this site.

I have two Indian Paposses. One I bought with $30.00 of my lawn mowing money in 1964 from Larrow's Auction House in Wilbraham Mass USA, still have the receipt (attached). Brought the scooter home, cleaned the spark plug, closed the compression release under the crankcase and fired it up. Both my dad and I took turns riding it round and round the house like the little boys we became. That winter I disassembled the engine, honed the cylinder with a set of Break Cylinder hones my dad had and learned to use a micrometer and steel rule to measure the cylinder, calculate the displacement and diameter of the cylinder. Replaced the rings and rode on to happiness when the snow melt that spring.

The second one I was given by the brother (Tim) of my best friend and eventual Best Man at my Wedding (John). Unfortunately this one is missing lots of parts and the frame was cut in an attempt to modify it.
The first year I owned the Papoose my dad introduced me to Jimmy Hill an old test drive for Indian Motorcycles in Springfield Mass USA. My dad met Jimmy when dad was just a young man when he and his palls go down to the Indian Factory in Winchester Square and ogle the new Indians. Jimmy gave him 2 Post Cards that were used for marketing the machines (attached). Jimmy gave me an aluminum cup for measuring the oil to mix with the gas and a book (The Light Weight Motorcycle Handbook by Bernal Osborne of Motor Cycling, Temple Press Limited, Bowling Green Lane, London, E.C.1, First published 1951.

I have a spare set of wheels, tires and tubes that were brand new when I bought them from Riddle's Small engine repair in Palmer Mass USA about 1970. I just happened to spot them on his bench when purchasing parts for a lawnmower. He had sourced them for a customer who never came back to pay for them and pick them up. I just could not let the opportunity pass to pick them up.

Both scooters have been hiding under my work bench since 1976. My original Papoose is in great physical shape with all it's parts from headlamp through gas tank with rack to taillight/license plate mount. It has not been run since 1970 or so. I never had a kickstand for it, but attached a clamp on bicycle kickstand that I modified to work in a fashion.

When it warms up I will dig both scooters out from under the bench and post pictures. The second receipt attached is for a full paint job my dad had a friend of his (Frenchie) do in 1966 at Griswold's Garage in Palmer Mass. The Garage was owned by Roger Griswold a childhood friend of my dad.

The Papoose lost out to my first car a 1960 Austin Healey Bug Eye Sprite.

New Friends I have had a ball remembering all this and organizing the documents to post. I hope you enjoy reading a little history of the Papoose.

Craig

[image]
[image]
[image]
[image]

slaapstad(R)

27.01.2017, 02:25

@ craigbenoit

Two Papooses

Howdy Craig,

Would love to see the images when they're available!

modelman(R)

10.02.2017, 12:28

@ slaapstad

Two Papooses

Howdy Craig,

Would love to see the images when they're available!

Great story, love to some pics as well!!

imprace(R)

15.03.2017, 15:00

@ craigbenoit

Two Papooses

Hi Craig, I notice in your notes that your Papoose is complete mentioning "tank and carrier",
. It's the carrier I am interested in,can you give me any idea what year your Papoose is. I have a later Mk IV with fittings for a carrier,but would like to find out if it is keeping with the year. My Mk IV is a round tube chassis version.
regards Imprace